Drug and Alcohol Treatment Trends Show Little Change 2006-2010
|March 20, 2012||Posted by M. P. under Drug and Alcohol, Federal Government, Health|
If you are at all interested in drug and alcohol abuse and treatment trends, a wealth of data is available in the 2010 National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS) report, based on an annual census of substance abuse treatment facilities conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). This information provides a picture of the presence and nature of alcohol and drug treatment in the country that may be useful for predicting and planning for future treatment needs. Highlights from the survey include,
- The number of clients in treatment facilities increased by 4 percent between 2006 and 2010, although the number of facilities remained stable
- 92 percent of facilities reported clients receiving treatment for both alcohol and drug abuse in March of 2010
- A breakdown of treatment centers by type indicates the majority of clients are served in private nonprofit treatment facilities (53 percent), just under 1/3 (32 percent) are served in private for profit treatment centers, 6 percent in facilities run by the local government, 4 percent in state-operated facilities and 4 percent in federally run facilities
- There was little change in the type of treatment received from 2006 to 2010 – outpatient services treated 90 percent of clients, residential treatment accounted for 10 percent, and 1 percent of clients received hospital inpatient treatment
- Approximately 8 percent of treatment clients were under age 18 between 2006 and 2010. The break-out of type of care mirrored that of the total population above – 88 percent of clients in outpatient care, 12 percent in residential treatment and up to 2 percent in hospital inpatient treatment
Additional data on utilization rates, services and therapeutic approaches and licensing/accreditation are available in the full report, National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS): 2010 Data on Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities.
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS): 2010. Data on Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities. DASIS Series S-59, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 11-4665. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2011.