The just released M+R Benchmarks Study 2016 (in collaboration with the Nonprofit Technology Network) contains lots of interesting data about the state of online fundraising and marketing among nonprofit organizations. Some highlights
- Online revenue is up 19%.
- Although email opens and click-throughs are down, email fundraising is up 25%, and among the 25 top performing (dollars raised online) study participants, over one-third of their online revenue is via email.
- Nonprofits sent more emails around fundraising and advocacy in 2015 than the year prior, but the response rate decreased.
- For every 1,000 emails sent, nonprofits raise about $44.
- The average one-time gift ranged from $61 (Wildlife/Animal Welfare nonprofits) to $168 (Rights nonprofits).
- Wildlife/Animal Welfare nonprofits have the highest rates of engagement on social media.
- On average, just over 1% of website visitors make a donation.
The Benchmarks study may help you gauge your nonprofit’s development and marketing metrics against sector averages, in fact, on page 17 the authors advise how to best use the data comparatively. The study is available to download for free at www.mrbenchmarks.com .